Minggu, 02 Januari 2011

Phonebook transfer over Bluetooth: Nokia E50

'm one of the many "lucky" people who own a Nokia E-Series phone (E50), which does not work properly with the Bluetooth carkit. Making and receiving phone calls works perfectly, but the carkit fails to load the phonebook.
My the carkit worked well with my old Nokia 6310i (including phonebook access). I'm posting this for the BMW carkit, but I assume the phonebook problems with the Nokia E-series are the same on many types of carkits.
Because the actual cause (and possible solution) were unclear to me, I did some research about Bluetooth, the Nokia E50, and the BMW carkit (BMW Bluetooth, latest model).

1. BLUETOOTH
Initially I thought of Bluetooth as "a standard", but now I understand it is merely a "collection of standards", namely the so-called Bluetooth profiles.
The Bluetooth standard defines a number profiles, and Bluetooth devices can only communicate with each other when they share one or more profiles.
A good list of Bluetooth profiles can be found at Wikipedia:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bluetooth_profile
At first sight, following Bluetooth profiles seem important/interesting for the operation of a Bluetooth carkit:
Hands-Free Profile (HFP)
Headset Profile (HSP)
Phone Book Access Profile (PBAP)
SIM Access Profile (SAP, SIM)
Synchronization Profile (SYNCH)

Design by infinityskins.blogspot.com 2007-2008